Elemental Scientific MicroMill Laser Ablation Device.
MicroMill is a microsampling device designed for high resolution milling to recover sample powder for chemical and isotopic analysis. The combination of submicron stage resolution and positional accuracy, real-time video observation and a custom designed software system allows for sampling of complex accretionary structures in skeletal and crystalline materials.
Higher sensitivity, improved stability, and less fractionation.
- Manufacturing (metals/glass/plastics)
- Complex crystal growth zonation: Subsampling provides high-resolution elemental isotopic chemistries and intra-zonal variations of the crystal structure
- Accretionary growth structure examination: Subsampling within annual growth banding of molluscan shells allows reconstructing seasonal variations present during the life of an organism, such as a clam.
- Precise sampling of growth zones in speleothems: determine seasonal changes by precise sampling in complex growth zone profiles.
- Sampling from otoliths and bone: evaluate elemental and isotopic composition of bonelike materials through precise milling.
- Thin films
Superior performance and benchmark analytical results.
- High-resolution stereo microscope with 6.7X to 40X optical zoom and petrographic features S-video color CCD video camera with 24.5mm to 3.3mm field of view for imaging and digitizing of sample.
- Independent (second) color CCD camera with 3X digital magnification for in-process viewing of mill bit.
- Automated 50mm travel in X, Y and Z stages with sub-micron step resolution.
- Open-stage architecture accommodates large samples.
- Software-selectable flood and transmitted lighting.
- Continuously adjustable (360Þ) cross polarizers.
- Low-eccentricity, high-torque DC milling chuck with variable speed (1,200 – 35,000rpm).
- Precision tungsten-carbide milling tools for high spatial resolution.
- Joystick stage control for manual sample positioning.
- MicroMill software (Windows®-based) with point-and-click functions.
- Live video image displayed on computer monitor.
- On-screen display of digitized and interpolated sub-sampling paths.
- Precise depth control over entire area of sampling.
- Z-tilt correction and contour-following functions.
- Off-line digitized files can be read directly with software transformation of image coordinates.
- Data record file with sample-path information and estimated sample volumes.
- Save, recall and export images (BMP, TIF, JPG and TGA files).
Designed for analytical science in mind.
- Sub-micron sample motion control.
- High-precision milling.
- Sample height detection and tilt correction by a drill-tip sensor, contour-following function.
- Sample map navigation increases sample-area field of view.
- 50mm of computer-driven sample movement on X, Y and Z axes.
- Data/image file recoordination, including save, recall and export.